Bagel is a form bread that is usually eaten for breakfast. Their basic ingredients include yeast, flour, water, sweetener and salt. The dough is made into rings, just like a donut. They are then boiled or steamed before baking.
These breads can be eaten plain. Toppings and other ingredients may be added as well including blueberry, cream cheese, jams and jellies. While this is a popular food for humans, it can also be safely given to cats. It will not cause digestive problems or other health risks as long as feeding is not excessive.
Other breads may also be given to your pet. Just make sure that they are not allergic to any of the ingredients used to prevent any problems. Aside from bagels and breads, there are other foods that can be safely given to your cat. However, there are also those that should never be fed to your pet as they may pose serious health concerns.
Can I Give My Cat a Bagel? Answer: Yes.
Bagels and other types of breads are safe for your cat. So yes, it is okay to feed them with these. However, just like feeding them with other kinds of foods, it should still be kept in moderation. Overfeeding may cause digestive problems like stomach pain and constipation. In giving your pet a bagel for a treat, go for a plain bagel as the extra toppings are what make it unhealthy. A bagel that is multigrain or made from whole wheat is a healthier option as this is rich in fiber, which is good for the digestion of your feline friend.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Foods for Your Cat
There are various things to consider when choosing the right food for your pet. A certain type of food may be safe for one cat but not for the other. It is important to learn about the following to ensure that you are providing your cat healthy food options.
Weight of your cat. Just like people, cats must have a normal weight to be healthy. Go to your vet to determine if your pet is overweight or underweight. A vet will recommend the right diet for your pet to get its ideal weight.
Your pet’s age. Cats on different age groups have varying nutrient needs. There are foods that are best for kittens, while others are for older cats. Cat foods usually have recommendations on what age group they are for on their packaging.
Its health status. This is not just about the current health condition of your cat but its complete health history. Even if it does not have any health problems at the moment, if it suffered from any health concerns in the past like allergies or digestive problems, they must be considered when choosing the food to feed your pet.
Your budget. This is an important factor to consider, as you do not want to spend more than you can afford. There are several cat foods available that you can choose from. You can find one that is right for you pet and falls under your budget.
Best Foods for Your Cat
Like dogs, cats can also safely take various kinds of human foods. Bagels are one of them. Aside from these breads, here are some foods that you can prepare for your beloved pet.
– Fish. This can be canned or fresh. Just make sure to remove bones to prevent your pet from accidentally ingesting them.
– Chicken, turkey and beef. These foods can be served cooked or raw. Remove the bones when serving to your cat.
– Milk. Depending on your cat, this may be a good treat. However, this may cause diarrhea. So if your pet suffers from diarrhea when taking milk, then avoid serving it.
– Cooked broccoli and corn. Avoid adding ingredients that are not recommended for cats including onions and garlic.
Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Cat
There are foods that are not advisable to be taken by cats as they can be harmful to their health. Learning about the types of foods that you should not serve your cat is vital in keeping them safe and healthy.
– Onions and garlic. These two food products contain N-propyl disulphide, which is a substance that may cause anemia in cats.
– Chocolate. While this can be a yummy treat for kids, this can be toxic to animals like cats.
– Green tomatoes and raw potatoes. These foods contain Glycoalkaloid Solanine, which is also poisonous to cats.
– Grapes. Grapes contains a substance called perin, which can be toxic to cats and dogs.
Consider your cat’s age, health and weight when feeding it with human foods including bagels. Go for healthier food choices to keep your pet in good condition. If you have any doubt if a certain food is safe for your cat or not, always consult an expert.